- Rihanna – Disturbia
- Kardinal Offishall Feat. Akon – Dangerous
- Ne-Yo – Closer
- Estelle Feat Kanye West – American Boy
- Pussycat Dolls – When I Grow Up
- Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love
- Danity Kane – Damaged
- Madonna , Timbaland & Justin Timberlake – 4 minutes
- Lupe Fiasco Feat. Matthew Santos – Superstar
- Britney Spears – Gimme More
- Flo-Rida feat. T-Pain – Low
I edited this video for the mashup as well. View it in full screen HERE.
…Lately in pop music there’s been this growing undercurrent of dysfunction and desperation.
Leona Lewis talks about love in terms of flesh wounds, Akon sings of girls being dangerous, Danity Kane complains of being damaged, Ne-Yo is unable to control himself, Rihanna is going crazy.
Meanwhile a burning hunger for more cries out: The Pussycat Dolls, Britney, and Lupe Fiasco all desire fame, attention, recognition, and they encourage the listener to feel the same way. All this, mixed in with Madonna’s pre-apocalyptic pop song plus Estelle and Kanye’s transatlantic lovefest, starts to paint a picture of where our culture is today, overwhelmed by our own raging appetites, even as we run out of what we need.
And you can dance to it!